February 21, 2012

Tau Yu Bak (Pork braised in soy sauce)

Tau Yu Bak is a favourite among many local Chinese.  It goes well sandwiched with mantou.  Some like it very soft but some like it with bite.  Hence, cooking time depends very much on how you like the meat done.  This dish is best done with pork belly (with some fats layer)

















Ingredients:

2-3 long strips of pork belly (cut to about 3 inches in length)
10 pips of garlic (smashed with side of knife, skin on)
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
5 tbsp dark soy sauce
3-4 tbsp light soy sauce
3 star anise
3 small cinnamon sticks
1 tsp brown sugar
2 hard boiled eggs (pre-cooked)
15g oil


Method:



Cover
Time
Temp°C
Speed
1)  season pork belly overnight with garlic, black pepper, salt, dark soy sauce and light soy sauce





2)  Heat oil to varoma before frying cinnamon stick and star anise
Yes
2mins
V
1 Reverse
3)  Add pork pieces from the hole in the lid as it stirs, then pour all the marinating sauce in, followed by 1 tsp brown sugar and the 2 hard boiled eggs.

Yes
30 – 45 mins depends on desired softness
100
1
Reverse


4 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 15, 2012

    Thanks for sharing your recipes. They are so yummy and cooked so easily in the thermomix. Brought the lovely flavours of Spore and Msia to the cold wet shores of England. My family and I look forward to more recipes from you, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed the recipe, hope it brought you sweet memories. I was a little busy lately, will definitely share more Asian recipes here. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chanced upon this blog and I am so glad I did. I came from Singapore and have been living in Perth for 12 years now. Just had a demo on Saturday and still thinking if I would be buying this machine. Love this dish but never attempted to make them because of the hassle. I will definitely be getting the TM but was wondering if by any chance you sell the Malaysian cookbook as well? By the way, what is the price in Sing dollars? Maybe I should get it from Singapore instead since I will be going back late April. I might send you an email. Thanks again. :) Geraldine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geraldine,

      Thank you for your inquiry, and sorry for the late reply.

      I don't sell the Malaysian cookbook as it comes with every unit. You can buy a Thermomix at RM5,398 here, and I can arrange delivery anywhere in Malaysia free of charge. If you do not have an address I can arrange it to be shipped to an address in Pelangi which is near Johore Baru.

      In Singapore we are selling at S$2400 because we have to pay GST at the Singapore custom. If you are taking this machine back to Australia then it's better you have yours delivered to JB. Anyway, give me a ring when you are back and we shall discuss.

      By the way, I will be going to Perth for a short holiday, my daughter is studying in UWA. Have a great weekend!

      Cheers,
      Mei

      Delete